Monday, April 23, 2012

Alone Together

There was a special moment in Bali, after the first full day at the Spirit Festival. As a group we were being driven back to the Villa. The general consensus was that we should be dropped off on the main-street so we could buy dinner at one of the many wonderful restaurants.

I had another idea though. I wanted to go straight back to the Villa so I could wash the layers of sweat off my body and change into clean clothes. I would then walk down to the small restaurant close to where we were staying and have my dinner there.

So I said goodbye to the rest of the team and completed the trip back alone. I had intended to jump into the pool first, but there was just no energy left for that, and the shower and change of clothes felt every bit as refreshing and renewing as I had hoped. 

The sun was just starting to fall and I took a slow walk to find food as my stomach was surely demanding to be fed. It was very quiet and moments before I got to the restaurant the sun had almost fully set. It was at that moment that I became consciously aware of how utterly at peace I felt. I was alone, and it was quiet with no one talking and no need to speak. It was this feeling of being in solitude but completely connected with everything inside of me, that in turn made me feel completely connected with everything outside of me. My whole life had been a progression that had led me to this very moment and I felt that it all had to happen this way or I might never have come to be here now, alone but together.

I took a picture of the fading light, just that very moment before it was gone completely, then I ordered my dinner. I just quietly sat in stillness looking out into the night thinking that this just might be one of the best moments in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment